Friday, August 27, 2010

Abby starts Kindergarten

Abby started Kindergarten last week at Boulder Creek Elementary. This has been the much anticipated event of her life! I got to go with her for parent orientation the first day, which lasted only until 10am. The night before of course she was so excited that she didn't actually sleep until about 9:45pm, despite being in bed at 7:30. So then I was sitting in "class" with her while the teacher read up The Kissing Hand and what does she do? She laid her head down on my lap... which she continued to do 3 times! School was only 90 minutes long that day, however would she last?
Her first week went well, she got to ride the bus home on Day 2, which was just as exciting as actually getting to go to school finally. She LOVED the bus! On Day 3 she got to ride the bus home again, but it was a different experience... The bus drive took a different route than the day before, putting her at our stop 10 minutes earlier. So of course I wasn't out there, but my neighbor Heather was. The unwritten rule (because I can't find it anywhere but through word of mouth) is that kindergartners are absolutely not allowed off the bus without an adult there to get them. So Heather called me, I RAN my little heart out there to the bus stop (Parker got to babysit Mia)--thanks to the driver for waiting--and Abby ran of the bus to me and burst into hysterical tears.

Of course it was 110 degrees and I got to carry my 50 pound child all the way home. I felt SO bad, mostly because it was only her 2nd time on the bus and the driver kept telling her that she couldn't get off. I explained to Abby that the driver wanted her to be safe and that she would have just taken her back to school and mommy would have gotten her there, but that wasn't enough. "No more bus." is all she said that whole way home through her sobbing tears. I drove her home the next 2 days (Thursday and Friday) and we started anew this week. So far so good.
I was able to talk to "Victor" at the department of transportation who tracked down a waiver I could sign, letting her off the bus even if I am not out there. So problem solved! I still love meeting her at the bus and taking her scooter so that she can ride it home, but now I won't panic if I think I'm a minute too late!
I thought Abby would be the tallest in her class by a long shot. She is taller than some 2nd graders at her school. The good news is that there are a few boys just as tall as she is. Thankfully she doesn't mind being so tall.


Mrs. Webb is her teacher for Kindergarten. She has taught for 19 years, is a mom of 2, and was a clown before becoming a teacher... so my impression of her is that she knows how to rule the roost but doesn't forget to have fun at the same time. I was really happy the first day when she said her door is always open. She wants the parents to feel like she can stop in at any time of the day to come play at school. So this week I did just that.
On Tuesday Abby said she didn't want to go to school and why does she have to go every day. Then that night she planned with me that she would go 2 more days that week and then take Friday off. Ha! seriously. We're on day 6 of kindergarten and she's already planning on playing hookie?! So of course I had a nice talk with her and made her go on Wednesday. And while Parker was at preschool, I went and surprised her at lunch with a burrito to make sure she was feeling better about being there. She was so excited when she saw me sitting at her table and gave me the biggest hug! Then I was the talk of the table. All of the girls wanted to sit by us, and meet me, and was I a teacher, and what was my name, etc. etc.. We ended the day with swimming at a friends house to remind Abby that she could still have fun on school days!
Abby wanted to match with me for her first day of school... how sweet!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

That's awesome that she's in kindergarten. And isn't it great that she's still in the stage where mom and dad are cool and she wants you around at school? Also, I love that she's already planning in skipping school. That forebodes well, doesn't it? ;)

Teneill and Corban said...

Jill you are the cutest mommie ever. You know all of Abby's friends are jealous of how cool her mom is, right? I can't believe she is in kindergarten!!!! And I died about the bus story. How very traumatic lol.... poor Abby. I've got a great visual in my head of you carrying her all the way home. Love you so much!!!

Lutgen's said...

I just wanted to say hi and love the picturesand story of the bus and Abby. boy is she getting tall like her dad. hope all is ell on her week 2 of school. give hugs to all and let them know Roman says hello too!